A Hotel Rooted In Irish Hospitality
In the 16th Century, the land that is now Ireland was governed by the Brehon Laws. These rules of living painted a broad stroke over all aspects of proper behavior, but our favourites are those mandating hospitality (oigidecht) to strangers, friends and loved ones alike.
In Celtic times, all citizens were expected to open their doors at any time of day or night to a passerby in need of a haven. Food, drink, music and a comfortable bed were provided with gusto and in return, the traveler agreed to not cause any trouble. To turn anyone away was to invite a ruined reputation and a fierce fine. To lighten the load on those with less riches to share, bruideans, now known as public houses, were established at major crossroads. All doors were unlocked and staffed at all times to ensure everyone passing by would be invited in.
It is in this grand tradition of a thousand welcomes on which Merrion Row Hotel and Public House was built. Attentive service is more than our standard, it’s in our blood. The Connolly family owns and is active in every part of the hotel’s daily life. The hotel pays homage to their family’s past while embracing their own unique lively approachability.
The Beaux Arts building first opened in 1920 as one of Times Square’s first hotels. Local artists and actors frequented the hotel and over time, these rooms were frequented more often by tourists and their families in search of a truly New York experience.
It’s the details that make the house and the niceties that make the stay enjoyable and memorable. The list below is only the beginning. Our attentive service goes beyond words on a page. If you’ll be needing anything, we are here to provide it – simply ask.
- 24-hour front desk
- 24-hour room service serving Public House food and drink
- Pampering bath amenities hand-picked by the Connolly family
- Airport shuttle to and from Newark Liberty International, John F Kennedy International and La Guardia
- Banquet facilities
- Business center – well-stocked and at your service
- Business services
- Babysitting for all wee lassies and laddies
- Conference rooms, timeless and practical
- Coffee shop serving local gourmet coffee
- Dry cleaning services
- Speedy elevators
- Express check-in and express check-out
- Superb housekeeping with available turn-down service
- Ice machine to keep the Champagne cold
- Multilingual staff
Merrion Row will be implementing an Urban fee for all new bookings. The Urban fee will be $25 plus tax per night and will include the following:
The urban fee consists of the following
- 2 welcome pints
- Complimentary continental breakfast for two
- 2 bottles of water